Friday, February 24, 2012

The Slip Part 2


Bob helping
I can't believe that I have almost finished the slip.  Still haven't figured out the flounce on the bottom but got the rest of it figured out.  I now realize that in the future I will still need to let out the bust measurement a little more.  The rest fits nicely but I have to figure out how to adjust the bust since the patterns are made for a different body type.  I think the older patterns have lower bust points than modern patterns.  The only reason I can figure out why the difference in the fit is that bras are a lot different now, in fact, I am not sure if bras even existed then.  I'll have to do some research on this.  When you see drawings the waists were tiny (due to corsets but they show the women busty and hippy).  I guess they would consider that figure type "curvy" now.  Isn't it funny how the standard of beauty changes?  When you look at the period following the Edwardian style you get the ultra slim, flat chested standard of beauty of the "flappers".  I remember my grandmother talking about binding her bust since she was definitely not the flat chested type.  I got my build from her, thanks Grandma. 

I know that I am going to have to either make a corset or see if I can buy one.  The only place I can think of that I might be able to find one is at the  Blockade Runner in Wartrace, Tennessee.  These are Civil War era corsets but they would probably work after all, getting cinched up  is getting cinched up.  If anyone has any better ideas please be sure and let me know in the comments section.    Thanks for joining me in this journey.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment